The ASEAN Foundation (AF) and Kyoto University (KU) have entered into an agreement to contribute to the strengthening of ASEAN – Japan friendly relations through human resource development in the region through theASEAN Foundation – Kyoto University Scholarship Programme under the Framework of the ASEAN Credit Transfer System Scheme which has now been in its second phase.
The ASEAN Foundation, an initiative of the Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), was established on 15 December 1997 to help bring about shared prosperity and a sustainable future for the peoples of all ASEAN countries. It has been mandated to promote greater awareness of ASEAN and greater interaction among its peoples and their increased participation in ASEAN activities as well as to undertake development cooperation activities that enhance mutual assistance, address equitable economic development, and reduce poverty.
Kyoto University is a national university located in Kyoto, Japan, with office address at Yoshida-Honnmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan. It is the second oldest Japanese university and one of the highest ranked universities in Asia. As one of Asia’s leading research-oriented institutions, Kyoto University is famed for producing world-class researchers, including nine Nobel Prize laureates, two Fields medalists, and one Gauss Prize.
Under this ScholarshipProgramme, up to ten (10) slots are available for ASEAN nationals studying at undergraduate level at ASEAN University Network (AUN) Member Universities who are interested to undertake one semester at undergraduate level at KU during the Fall Semester 2016 (October 2016 – March 2017) through the ACTS Scheme. There are also slots available under this Scholarship Programme for KU students to study at the AUNMember Universities. Credits granted during the Scholarship period will be transferrable to home universities. Selection of successful applicants will be based on merit.
Terms and conditions for ASEAN students to study at KU
Scholarships are open tobonafide ASEAN nationals from AUN Member Universities.
- Apply online through the ACTS Schemewebsitehttps://acts.ui.ac.id.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate programme.
- Have proven their English proficiency as mandated by KU.
- Maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above.
- Have a strong commitment to return to their community or in any ASEAN country or Japan after completing the Programme.
- Be willing to nurture sustainable relations with the AF and KU and promote both parties to their peers in home countries.
- Contribute to the promotion of Japan – ASEAN relations.
Field of Study
- Selection of courses is available in the ACTS online application system. Please visit https://acts.ui.ac.id.
- Besides the courses registered in the ACTS online application system, “Liberal Arts and Sciences to learn in English 2016” are also provided by KU. Please refer to the URL below for more information:
- Japanese language courses at different levels are also available at KU.
The Scholarship will cover roundtrip airfare, tuition fee for 12 credits per student, insurance, accommodation, living cost, and student visa.
The award is tenable for a period of one (1) semester (six (6) months) during the Fall Semester 2016 (October 2016 – March 2017).
Applicants shall follow the procedure of applicationas described in the ACTS online system. Please apply online athttps://acts.ui.ac.id under “Application”.
Application for this Scholarship is due on 8 May2016. Pre-session orientation programme followed by the academic programme will commence in October2016.
Notification of the Award
Successful applicants will be notified of the outcome by 16 May 2016 by KU.
Application form shall be obtained through online application system at https://acts.ui.ac.idand the following materials have to be submitted through the online application system:
- Statement of purpose (Form 1 (for KUINEP) Statement of Purpose)
- Certificate of enrollment in home university (Form 4 Certificate of enrollment)
- Language Proficiency Supporting Documents (TOEFL, IELTS) required for the applicants whose native language is not English
- Academic Transcript
- Copy of Passport
In addition, successful applicants are required to submit the following documents to KU by 31 May2016.
- Recommendation letters (Form 2-1 2-2 Letter of Recommendation)
- Health certificate (Form 3 Health Certificate)
For enquiries of Study Programme, please contact:
International Education and Student Mobility Division
Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501 JAPAN
For enquiries of the Scholarship, please contact:
Ms. Uni Prayuti
Senior Program Officer
Jl. Sam Ratulangi No. 2 Menteng, Jakarta Pusat 10350, Indonesia
Ph.: +62-21-3192-4833; Fax.: +62-21-3192-6078
Terms and conditions for KU students to study at AUN Member Universities (coming soon)